The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a regulation in EU law on data protection and privacy in the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA). It also addresses the transfer of personal data outside the EU and EEA areas. The Regulation went into effect on May 25, 2018 and establishes rules related to the protection of citizens with regard to the processing, storage, and transfer of personal data.
A few of the key privacy and data protection requirements of the GDPR include:
- Consent requirements from individuals when processing personal data
- Providing Anonymity when utilizing collected data in order to ensure privacy protection
- Providing data breach notifications
- Safely handling the transfer of data across borders
- Data Provision Officer (DPO) requirement to oversee and monitor GDPR compliance
All organizations marketing goods or services to EU residents, regardless of physical location, are subject to the regulation. Therefore, the impact of GDPR data protection requirements extend globally. Reach out to one of our service professionals today for a consult so we can discuss your specific compliance requirements.